JoyYou Card is an On-Loan Personalised Octopus designed for Hong Kong residents aged 60 or above. JoyYou Card holders can travel on designated public transport modes and services at a concessionary fare of $2 per trip under the Government Public Transport Fare Concession Scheme for the Elderly and Eligible Persons with Disabilities ($2 Scheme).
Eligible applicants must be Hong Kong Smart Identity Card holders who are aged 60 or above, or will reach the age of 60 within 3 months from the date of application.
First-time applicants who have reached the age of 65 shall submit their applications by phases according to the timetable as follows:
|Application Periods||Year of Birth|
|June 1 to 30, 2022||1956|
|July 1 to 31, 2022||1955|
|August 1 to 31, 2022||1954|
|September 1 to 30, 2022||1953|
|October 1 to 31, 2022||1952|
|November 1 to 30, 2022||1951|
|December 1 to 31, 2022||1950|
|January 1 to February 28, 2023||1948, 1949|
|March 1 to April 30, 2023||1946, 1947|
|May 1 to June 30, 2023||1943, 1944, 1945|
|July 1 to August 31, 2023||1939, 1940, 1941, 1942|
|September 1 to October 31, 2023||1938 or before|
- Persons aged 65 or above please submit the applications according to the schedule as stated above. Application not submitted according to the application schedule may be delayed or rejected.
- The Government will announce the date to cease covering Anonymous Elder Octopus and Personalised Octopus in the $2 Scheme later. The existing On-Loan Anonymous Elder Octopus or Personalised Octopus will not be covered under the $2 Scheme in future.
- Persons reaching the age of 60 in 3 months can apply for the JoyYou Card. We will not process your application if you are not reaching the age of 60 in 3 months from the date of application. Applicants shall submit a new application again as scheduled.
- After submitting the application, please pay attention to the SMS, email or letter sent by Octopus Cards Limited to know the progress of your application. For applications with incomplete information or supporting documents, Octopus Cards Limited will issue SMS, email or letters to the applicants concerned for supplementary information submission. Applicants who have received SMS or email may call the Joy You Card Application Service Hotline at 3147 1388 for enquiry. As for applicants who have received letters, they should submit the supplementary information within 14 days. Otherwise, their applications cannot be processed further.
- Upon completion of the application, Octopus Cards Limited will send the JoyYou Cards to applicants' correspondence address as provided on the application form by post, and will notify applicants via SMS in advance. To avoid postal delay, we recommend you to refer to the address on your bank statement or utility bills to fill in the application form. Applicants who have not received their JoyYou Cards 10 days after receiving the SMS or four weeks after completing the application should call the JoyYou Card Application Service Hotline at 3147 1388.
- Simply reload your JoyYou Card with an amount higher than $50 at the existing designated locations for reloading the Octopus. No activation of JoyYou Card is required.
- Each eligible applicant can only hold and possess one JoyYou Card at any time. Please DO NOT submit multiple applications. Any duplicate applications would be rejected and may affect your application in process.
- JoyYou Card holders aged 60 to 64 can continue to enjoy $2 Scheme by using the existing JoyYou Card after reaching the age of 65.
- Eligible Persons with Disabilities may continue to use their Personalised Octopus with“Persons with Disabilities Status”and printed with a photo to enjoy the $2 Scheme. Card replacement is not required.
Simple steps to apply for the JoyYou Card
Online application through Octopus App
Please watch the short video to learn about the application procedures for a JoyYou Card through the Octopus App, and follow the simple steps below to submit your application.
Step 1: Prepare the following required documents
Original of your Hong Kong Smart Identity Card.
Please note: Only accept HK Smart ID card issued from 2003.
Colour passport photo.
Method 1: Save a colour passport photo image (with white or plain light colour background) on your mobile phone, then upload it via the electronic application.
Method 2: Prepare a 1.5” x 2” colour passport photo (with white or plain light colour background) and take a photo with your mobile phone, then upload it via the electronic application.
- Headshot colour passport photo
- White or plain light colour background
- Taken within 6 months
- Image size at least 600px (W) x 800px (H)
- Self-portrait photo taken with mobile phone is not recommended as the quality of the photo may be varied.
- If applicants do not submit the photo according to the requirements as stated above, extra processing time may be required or the application may be rejected.
Examples of Unacceptable Photos
Photo is too small
(After selecting or taking a photo, adjust and enlarge the photo according to the frame on the screen)
Not in white or plain light colour background
(Photo must be taken within 6 months)
Not a headshot photo
Step 2: Download the Octopus App
You may search and download the Octopus App from Google Play, App Store or AppGallery.
Step 3: Submit your electronic application through the Octopus App
Submit your application by going to "Featured" at the home page of the Octopus App and tap "JoyYou Card Application", or tap "More" at the bottom right hand corner of the home page, then choose "JoyYou Card Application" and follow the steps in the electronic application form to complete and submit your application.
Obtain an application form and submit by post
Please watch the short video to learn about how to obtain an application form for a JoyYou Card, and follow the simple steps below to submit your application.
Step 1: Obtain the application form (with postage paid return envelopes) at the following designated locations
- Unpaid area of MTR Customer Service Centres (except To Kwa Wan, Sung Wong Toi, Hin Keng, Kai Tak, South Horizons, Lei Tung, Wong Chuk Hang and Racecourse Stations) and Light Rail Customer Service Centres (Yuen Long, Tin Yat, Leung King and Tuen Mun Ferry Pier stops)
- Licensing Offices of the Transport Department
- Home Affairs Enquiry Centres of the Home Affairs Department
- District Elderly Community Centres, Neighbourhood Elderly Centres and Social Centres for Elderly subvented by the Government
- Estate Offices under Hong Kong Housing Authority
- Hong Kong Housing Society (Rental Estates, Cheerful Court, Jolly Place and The Tanner Hill Management Office)
You may download the consolidated list of designated locations here.
You may also download the application form (PDF format) here.
If you have downloaded the application form from our website, please prepare your own envelope and adhere the stamp before mailing to the following address:
P.O. Box No. 945,
Tsuen Wan Post Office, NT
Octopus Cards Limited
JoyYou Card Application
Step 2: Fill in the application form
After filling in the form, please adhere the following required documents onto the specified places of the application form:
A colour or black & white copy of your Hong Kong Smart Identity Card.
Please cut it according to the actual size and adhere it onto the application form.
Colour passport photo.
Please adhere a 1.5”x 2” colour passport photo taken within 6 months (with white or plain light colour background) onto the application form.
Note: Please fill in your name, Hong Kong identity card number, mobile phone number (for receiving SMS), preferred language and mailing address (only accept Hong Kong address). Please sign/stamp a chop at the end of the form. The name and HKID No. of the applicant on the application form must be the same as that on your HKID.
Step 3: Send by mail
After completing the application form, please detach page 2 and use the attached postage paid return envelope to return the form to us. For the "Terms of Application" on page 3 - 4, please keep them for future reference.
After receiving your application, an SMS with the Application Reference Number will be sent to you. Please keep the Application Reference Number for any future communications and enquiries. Please note that the SMS sent by Octopus Cards Limited is for dissemination of information only. All the SMS we sent to you will include your Application Reference Number. Applicant shall not provide any personal information or pay any fee via SMS. Octopus Cards Limited will not contact applicant via Whatsapp either. If your application information and/or required document is incomplete or incorrect, we will send SMS, email or letter to request you to submit supplementary information and/or required document by:
- Mail: P.O. Box No. 945, Tsuen Wan Post Office, Octopus Cards Limited,
JoyYou Card Application
- Email: email@example.com, or
- JoyYou Card Application Service Hotline: 3147 1388
When you submit the supplementary information and/or required supporting document, please quote the Application Reference Number.
Within 4 weeks after receipt of your completed application and required documents, we shall mail your JoyYou Card to the Hong Kong correspondence address you provided. We will notify you by sending an SMS to the mobile phone number you provided. If you do not receive your JoyYou Card within 10 days after receiving the SMS, please call the JoyYou Card Application Service Hotline at 3147 1388.
JoyYou Card Application Fee
The HKSAR Government will subsidise the application fee for the first time application. Applicant is not required to pay the application fee.
However, administrative fees same as those apply to the On-Loan Personalised Octopus will be charged if you re-apply for the JoyYou Card after it is returned for refund, or if you apply for issuance of a replacement JoyYou Card after it is lost, etc.
Please refer to Schedule of Fees and Guidelines relating to the use of Octopus for other applicable fee(s) that may be charged.
Start Using Your JoyYou Card
- JoyYou Card can be used immediately after reloading and no activation of JoyYou Card is required.
- You can reload your JoyYou Card with cash at the existing designated locations for reloading the Octopus. You can also apply Automatic Add Value Service for your JoyYou Card to avoid the inconvenience caused by insufficient remaining value. Application hotline: 2266 2338.
- You may also install the Octopus App in your mobile phone, and register for the Octopus Wallet and FPS to reload the JoyYou Card through electronic transfer of money.
- Upon receipt of the JoyYou Card, please reload it with an amount higher than $50. Please note that the initial reloading amount will include a refundable deposit of $50. For example, after you reload the JoyYou Card with $200, $50 will be held up as the deposit, and the remaining usable value will be $150. When you return your JoyYou Card in future, the deposit and any remaining value will be refunded.
JoyYou Card “Easy Transfer” Service
- Now you can transfer the services in your existing Octopus, including consumption vouchers, Consumption Voucher Scheme registration record, eligible spending record, Automatic Add Value Service (AAVS) and access control system to your JoyYou Card with our “Easy Transfer” service at the Octopus Service Points.
- Watch the short video to learn how to transfer the services on your original Octopus to JoyYou Card with “Easy Transfer” service.
Malfunctioning and Reporting Lost Card
Report Lost Card
- If you have lost your JoyYou Card, you should report to us immediately through Lost Octopus Reporting Service or call the Lost Octopus Reporting Hotline at 2266 2266. You will be liable for any loss arising from the use of such lost card within 3 hours after we receive the loss report and the related handling fee.
- We will arrange to issue a replacement JoyYou Card to you within 3 working days. If your JoyYou Card is linked with Automatic Add Value Service, it will be transferred to your new JoyYou Card automatically.
- If you report loss, you have to pay an administrative fee when you subsequently re-apply for a JoyYou Card.
- There will be a handling fee for reporting loss and issuance of a replacement JoyYou Card. Please refer to Schedule of Fees and Guidelines relating to the use of Octopus for details.
- If your JoyYou Card is malfunctioned, please bring it to the nearest MTR Customer Service Centre for assistance.
- If your JoyYou Card problem cannot be resolved, the malfunctioning Octopus will be returned to Octopus Cards Limited and a replacement JoyYou Card will be issued within 3 working days. If your JoyYou Card is linked with Octopus Automatic Add Value Service, it will be transferred to your new JoyYou Card automatically.
Government Public Transport Fare Concession Scheme for the Elderly and Eligible Persons with Disabilities
JoyYou Card is a Personalised Octopus tailor-made for the “Government Public Transport Fare Concession Scheme for the Elderly and Eligible Persons with Disabilities” ($2 Scheme). For details regarding the $2 Scheme (including the public transport modes and services under the Scheme), please click here to visit the website of the Transport Department.
Click here to read the Frequently Asked Questions.
JoyYou Card Application Service Hotline
Manned Service Hours
Mondays to Fridays, 9 am to 9 pm
Saturdays, Sunday and public holidays 9 am to 6 pm
Scan the QR code to assess our online virtual assistant Ask Helen.
JoyYou Card is designated as an On-Loan Personalised Octopus issued subject to the Conditions of Issue of Octopus