Octopus Online Payment Service
If you've got any questions about how we can make your life easier, please check out our FAQ.OK
Octopus Online Payment Service
OOP is the payment service offered by Octopus Cards Limited ("OCL", "our company"). Customers can make online payments to supported online merchants or service providers ("merchants") by Octopus, O! ePay accounts, Octopus Mobile SIM, Octopus on Apple Pay and Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay via the Octopus App or Octopus PC Reader (not applicable to O! ePay accounts, Octopus on Apple Pay and Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay).
If you make payments with Octopus via the Octopus App, you are required to register the last 5 and the check digits of Octopus Number on your Octopus App.
If you make payments using your O! ePay account, you are required to register for an O! ePay account.
No prior registration is required if you make payments by Octopus Mobile SIM or via the Octopus PC Reader.
Octopus on Apple Pay or Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay will be registered when you first open the Octopus App after you issue an Octopus on Apple Pay or a Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay.
Octopus Cards Limited is offering this service free of charge for customers, but some merchants may charge service fees or administration fees for their online shopping services. Before confirming your payment, please refer to the relevant information provided by the merchants.
The merchant will clearly display the service fee payable to OCL during the checkout process. OCL will update the Service Fee from time to time.
You need to download the free Octopus App from Google Play or the App Store by searching for "Octopus".
If you make payments using Octopus:
- Android users - your device must be a NFC-enabled device (click here for the list of compatible NFC Android devices supporting OOP).
- iOS users - if your mobile device is not iPhone 7 or newer with iOS 13 or above, you must have an Octopus Mobile Reader and successfully pair with the relevant mobile device (please click here for the pairing steps).
- You need an Octopus with a 9 digit Octopus number (eight digits plus one single digit inside the bracket, e.g. 12345678(9)) to use OOP. If you are a holder of a First Generation On-loan Octopus (the last digit of the card number has no bracket), you can replace this free of charge at Octopus Service Points located at designated MTR stations and shopping malls in order to enjoy the services of the Octopus App. Find out more
If you make payments by O! ePay:
- You need to sign-up for an O! ePay account with the Octopus App.
You can also make payments via the Octopus PC Reader.
- Download the Octopus App. Register the Octopus number or O! ePay account.
- Select "Octopus" as the payment method at the payment page.
- PC: Scan the QR code on the screen using the Octopus App, and select payment by Octopus / O! ePay / Octopus Mobile SIM.
Mobile device: The Octopus App will be activated automatically, and select payment by Octopus / O! ePay / Octopus Mobile SIM.
- By Octopus: Place your Octopus on the back of mobile device or Octopus Mobile Reader (iOS users) until the receipt shows on the screen;
By O! ePay / Octopus Mobile SIM: Payment will be deducted from O! ePay / Octopus Mobile SIM directly.
Note: Please click here for how to make online payment with Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay.
Press "Payment" on the Homepage > Choose the organization > Choose the Donation Type you want to make donation from the below screen
Input donation amount, then click "Donate", and choose payment by Octopus / O! ePay or Octopus Mobile SIM. You can turn on "Require Donation Receipt" and input required information to request for a Donation Receipt. If you have an O! ePay Plus or O! ePay Pro account, you can also use the "Auto-Complete" button to pre-fill the information from your O! ePay account.
If you make payments by Octopus / Octopus Mobile SIM / Octopus on Apple Pay or Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay:
- The maximum payment amount per transaction is HK$3,000 (i.e. the maximum stored value of the Octopus). For Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay issued before 1 October 2019 or Octopus issued before 1 December 2019, you can upgrade the stored value limit of such Octopus to HK$3,000 at Octopus App or Octopus Service Point.
- Specific merchants may apply their own daily transaction limits.
If you make payments by O! ePay:
- This is subject to whether the merchant concerned accepts O! ePay as one of its payment methods.
- The payment amount is subject to the Daily Transaction Limit of your O! ePay Account. Please refer to About Octopus O! ePay > What is Daily Transaction Limit for more details.
Upon completion of a successful order, you will receive the following confirmations:
- The Octopus Online Payment Reference Number from OCL to confirm successful payment by your Octopus.
- A confirmation email or receipt from the merchant to confirm your order.
If you encounter any problems in receiving these confirmations, please refer to the "How do I check my payment status" section below.
Upon receiving the Octopus Online Payment Reference Number and the Merchant's confirmation email or receipt, your transaction is complete. Please contact the merchant if you have any questions about your order.
If you fail to receive any confirmation after using OOP, you should check the transaction record on your Octopus using the Octopus App, Octopus PC Reader or other method as listed on the Octopus website. A transaction record for OOP can be found if the transaction was successful. You can review the Online Payment Receipt at the Octopus App or call our Customer Service Hotline at 2266 2222 to retrieve your Octopus Online Payment Reference Number and seek assistance from the merchant to confirm the order.
An Octopus Online Payment Receipt will be displayed together with an Octopus Online Payment Reference Number for each successful payment transaction. You are advised to retain such confirmation information provided by OOP when your transaction is successful. You should also retain other confirmations such as the merchant's confirmation email and receipt when using Octopus to settle your online payment.
When using the Octopus App for online payments, an Octopus Online Payment Receipt will be stored in your mobile device for 270 days.
Your online payment request will not be processed until you confirm the payment from your O! ePay account / Octopus Mobile SIM / Octopus on Apple Pay / Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay, or have placed your Octopus at the back of the NFC mobile device, on the Octopus Mobile Reader or Octopus PC Reader ("Confirm Payment"). Once you have confirmed a payment, the transaction will immediately be processed by OCL, and is therefore completed and irreversible. Please contact the merchant if you have further enquiries.
Your OOP request will expire after a set period of time. Once your request has expired, you need to restart your online payment process.
OOP is designed to protect against duplicate payments when you use the service. However, it cannot guarantee that such incidents will not occur. Please follow the steps below to minimize the chances of duplicate payments:
- Only conduct one online purchase at a time. Do not visit multiple websites or mobile apps when using OOP.
- Do not place multiple Octopus on the NFC mobile device, Octopus Mobile Reader or Octopus PC Reader at the same time.
- Make sure there is only one Octopus Mobile Reader or Octopus PC Reader paired with your iOS mobile device or connected to your computer. When using an NFC mobile device for OOP, make sure you only use one mobile device.
- Do not press the "Back" button or go to the previous page by using the browser's built-in function.
- When in doubt, cancel the transaction by clicking the "Cancel" button available on OOP, close all browsers or mobile apps and restart the payment process again through the merchant's website or mobile app. However, once the payment has been confirmed by OCL, it cannot be cancelled.
- Always check the transaction records on your Octopus by using the Octopus App, Octopus PC Reader and other channels as listed on the OCL website after conducting any transaction. Call our Customer Service Hotline on 2266 2222 if you have any questions about your transaction history or if you detect any suspicious activities.
If you make payments by Octopus, OCL will ask you to provide the last 3 digits of your card (when using the Octopus PC Reader) or to pre-register the Octopus Number (when using a mobile device) of your Octopus to validate and process the order.
When your information is transmitted over the Internet, OCL uses industrial standard methods to encrypt your information. OCL also maintains a firewall system to protect our infrastructure from unauthorized access. OCL conducts regular reviews on its service to make sure it meets changing requirements for Internet security.
You are reminded of the following:
- Do not use public computers or someone else's mobile device when using OOP.
- Make sure you only visit the online merchant and OOP using a secure connection. When you are using a secure connection, a padlock symbol should be displayed on your browser. When you click on the padlock symbol, the website information of OCL or the merchant should be displayed accordingly.
- Only download the Octopus App from designated channels as listed on OCL's website.
- Do not click on any link in an email to directly access OOP.
- Use only legitimate software.
- Do not jailbreak, root or modify the operating system.
- Update your Operating System and Internet browsers regularly.
- Install antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall software, and update them regularly.
- Use the screen lock function and do not leave your mobile device unattended.
- Register for 'remote locate' and 'erase' functions (if available) on your mobile device.
- When using a wireless connection, make sure it is secure.
- Beware of spam emails and look-alike websites.
The Lost Octopus Reporting Service is offered only to AAVS users and Personalised Octopus holders. You should call the Lost Octopus Reporting Hotline on 2266 2266 as soon as possible to report your lost card. Please note that no other channels for reporting a lost Octopus , such as email or fax, are accepted.
Cardholders are liable for any usage or value reloads during the first 3 hours after successfully reporting the card as lost.
If your payment has been successful, the merchant will deliver the products or services according to the terms and conditions you accepted when making the online purchase. Please contact the merchant if you have any questions regarding your order.
If you are dissatisfied with the products or services purchased from a merchant, please contact them directly. OCL, as a payment service provider, is not in a position to intervene, and is not responsible for the performance and quality of products/services offered by the merchants. You are advised to review the merchant's return/refund policies before making an order or proceeding with a payment to the merchant.
Please contact the merchant directly to request a refund for your ordered goods or services. Octopus Cards Limited, as a payment service provider, is not authorized to cancel or refund any order on behalf of the merchant.
Some merchants will refund via the Octopus App. In such a case, you will receive a notification via the Octopus App or you can check for notification messages directly in the App (the date of notification varies according to the merchant). If the payment was made by Octopus / Octopus on Apple Pay / Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay / Octopus Mobile SIM, please follow the instruction to collect your refund. Refunds such as these are also available for collection at Octopus Service Points.
If you fail to collect the refund within the collection period stated in the notification, the refund will be cancelled without further notice. You will have to contact the merchant directly to make further arrangements in such a case.
If the payment was made by O! ePay, the related refund amount will be credited directly to your O! ePay account. For O! ePay users, a corresponding feed will be shown on your Activities page and a record will be shown on the Monthly Statement in the O! ePay section of the App.
You can find the notification message by opening the "Registered Octopus" list in the app and selecting the relevant Octopus.
Please contact the merchant directly regarding the status of your ordered products or services. OCL is not involved in the actual delivery of any ordered products or services.
You can contact either us or our payment gateway acquirers for a solution that is best suited to your business needs.
Please click here for contact details.
If your Octopus is unable to successfully complete online payments, it may be due to insufficient funds. We suggest reloading your Octopus in advance and make sure it has sufficient remaining value to settle the purchase payment.
For the most updated list of NFC-enabled Android mobile device models that support Octopus Online Payment, please visit here.
In the donation screen of the Octopus App, press "Require Donation Receipt". Then enter your name, mobile number, email and address.
If you have an O! ePay Plus or O! ePay Pro account, you can also use the Auto-Complete button to pre-fill this information from your O! ePay account.
If you have any questions, please contact the charity organization directly.
You can find e-tickets you purchased by OOP in the "e-Ticketing" section of the app.
Yes, you can simply go to "My account" on Google Play to select another payment method.