Octopus Card stored value limit automatically upgraded to HK$3,000
If you have an Octopus Card with a stored value limit of HK$1,000, it will be automatically upgraded to HK$3,000 as you collect your first consumption voucher.
When you use the designated services at various channels, Octopus Card stored value limit will automatically upgraded to HK$3,000². The easiest way to upgrade the Octopus Card stored value limit is tapping card on your mobile device with the Octopus App. With the app, you can top up your Octopus (if you are an Octopus Wallet Plus, Pro or Pro (Verified) User, you can set up electronic Direct Debit Authorisation (eDDA) to instantly top up your Octopus from your bank account), check the spending records and remaining value of your Octopus, while enjoying the greater ease and efficiency of Octopus' One Card One App functionality. With this upgraded stored value limit, you have sole discretion in deciding what amount to top up at anytime. So you can enjoy a hassle free and more flexible payment experience.
¹ Octopus products issued before 1 December 2019 - including On-Loan Octopus, Sold Octopus, Bank Co-Brand Octopus and Octopus Mobile SIM and Smart Octopus (electronic Octopus in iPhone and Apple Watch, Samsung Pay and Huawei Pay) issued before 1 October 2019.
² Please note that the stored value limit cannot be changed back to HK$1,000 once upgraded.
Tap your Octopus Card at your mobile device with the Octopus App
Tap your Octopus Card at an Octopus Service Point
Tap your Octopus Card at designated retail outlets³ (From 16 May 2021 onwards)
³ All outlets of 7-Eleven, Circle K, Wellcome, Market Place by Jasons, Market Place, 3hreesixty and Jasons ichiba
Tap your Octopus Card at a Subsidy Collection Point (From 16 May 2021 onwards)
You can also upgrade the Octopus Card stored value limit via the Octopus App* or at Octopus Service Points.
Upgrade via the Octopus App
- Select "Upgrade stored value limit of Octopus card" under "Settings" in the Octopus App;
- Confirm upgrade to the stored value limit:
- On-Loan Octopus Card
Tap your Octopus Card to the NFC area of your mobile device or Octopus Mobile Reader# until the message "Stored Value Limit successfully upgraded" is shown on screen;
- Smart Octopus
Confirm upgrade to the stored value limit by entering your password or using your iris or fingerprint, until the message "Stored Value Limit successfully upgraded" is shown on screen;
- Octopus Mobile SIM
Tap "Confirm" to upgrade the stored value limit, until the message "Stored Value Limit successfully upgraded" is shown on screen;
- On-Loan Octopus Card
- You can top up with any amount up to HK$3,000 once the stored value limit of your Octopus Card has been upgraded.
Upgrade at an Octopus Service Point
- Visit any Octopus Service Point and select "Upgrade Stored Value Limit" in the main menu;
- Tap your Octopus Card on the reader until the message "You have successfully upgraded the stored value limit of your Octopus to HK$3,000" is shown on screen;
- You can now top up your Octopus Card with any amount up to HK$3,000 to enjoy a more flexible payment experience!
*Octopus App Android version 8.12.0 or above; iOS version 5.6.0 or above
#Upgrade service is applicable for:
- Android – NFC enabled mobile devices
- iOS - iPhone 7 or newer with iOS 13 or above, or connected with Octopus Mobile Reader