JoyYou Card is an On-Loan Personalised Octopus designed for Hong Kong residents aged 60 or above. JoyYou Card holders can travel on designated public transport modes and services at a concessionary fare of $2 per trip under the Government Public Transport Fare Concession Scheme for the Elderly and Eligible Persons with Disabilities ($2 Scheme) starting from 27 February 2022.
Eligible applicants must be Hong Kong Smart Identity Card holders who are aged between 60 and 64 or will reach the age of 60 within 3 months from the date of application.
First-time applicants who have reached the age of 60 shall submit their applications by phases according to the timetable as follows:
|Application Periods||Year of Birth|
|August 2 to 31, 2021||1957#|
|September 1 to 30, 2021||1958|
|October 1 to 31, 2021||1959|
|November 1 to 30, 2021||1960|
|December 1 to 31, 2021||1961|
|From 1 January 2022 onwards||Reaching the age of 60 in 3 months|
# Persons born between January 1 and February 26, 1957, can automatically enjoy the concession with JoyYou Card when they reach the age of 65.
- Eligible persons born in 1957 and 1958 but have not applied for the JoyYou Card, please submit the applications as soon as possible in order to enjoy the $2 concessionary fare from February 27, 2022 as scheduled.
- In accordance with the application timetable announced, the Octopus Cards Limited will accord priority to applications from eligible persons born in 1959 in October 2021, while other overdue applications will be processed later. Therefore it may take a longer time for late applicants to be issued JoyYou Cards.
- In addition, the Octopus Cards Limited has started sending JoyYou Cards to applicants by post since mid-August in phases and has notified applicants via SMS to check if they have received it. Applicants who have not received their JoyYou Cards 10 days after receiving the SMS or four weeks after completing the application should call the service hotline (2266 2222).
- After submitting the application, please pay attention to the SMS, email or letter sent by Octopus Cards Limited to know the progress of your application.
- We will not process your application if you are not reaching the age of 60 in 3 months from the date of application; or the form submitted is incomplete; or the required documents are not provided. If the application is rejected, you will have to submit a new application again.
- If applicants do not submit the applications according to the schedule as stated above, extra processing time may be required or the application may be rejected.
- Each eligible applicant can only hold and possess one JoyYou Card at any time. Please DO NOT submit multiple applications. Any duplicate applications would be rejected and may affect your application in processing.
- JoyYou Card holders can continue to enjoy $2 Scheme by using the existing JoyYou Card after reaching the age of 65.
- Elderly people who are aged 65 or above may continue to use the existing On-Loan Anonymous Elder Octopus or Personalised Octopus to enjoy the $2 Scheme at present. Application arrangement of JoyYou Card for the age of 65 or above will be announced later.
- Eligible Persons with Disabilities may continue to use their Personalised Octopus with “Persons with Disabilities Status” and printed with a photo to enjoy the $2 Scheme. Card replacement is not required.
Simple steps to apply for the JoyYou Card
Online application through Octopus App
Please watch the short video to learn about the application procedures for a JoyYou Card through the Octopus App, and follow the simple steps below to submit your application.
Step 1: Prepare the following required documents
Original of your Hong Kong Smart Identity Card.
Colour passport photo.
Method 1: Save a colour passport photo image (with white or plain light colour background) on your mobile phone, then upload it via the electronic application.
Method 2: Prepare a 1.5” x 2” colour passport photo (with white or plain light colour background) and take a photo with your mobile phone, then upload it via the electronic application.
- Headshot colour passport photo
- White or plain light colour background
- Taken within 6 months
- Image size at least 600px (W) x 800px (H)
- Self-portrait photo taken with mobile phone is not recommended as the quality of the photo may be varied.
- If applicants do not submit the photo according to the requirements as stated above, extra processing time may be required or the application may be rejected.
Examples of Unacceptable Photos
Photo is too small
(After selecting or taking a photo, adjust and enlarge the photo according to the frame on the screen)
Not in white or plain light colour background
(Photo must be taken within 6 months)
Step 2: Download the Octopus App
You may search and download the Octopus App from Google Play, App Store or AppGallery.
Step 3: Submit your electronic application through the Octopus App
Submit your application by going to “Featured” at the home page of the Octopus App and tap “JoyYou Card Application”, or tap “More” at the bottom right hand corner of the home page, then choose “JoyYou Card Application” and follow the steps in the electronic application form to complete and submit your application.
Obtain an application form and submit by post
Please watch the short video to learn about how to obtain an application form for a JoyYou Card, and follow the simple steps below to submit your application.
Step 1: Obtain the application form at the following designated locations
- Unpaid area of MTR Customer Service Centres (except To Kwa Wan, Sung Wong Toi, Hin Keng, Kai Tak, South Horizons, Lei Tung, Wong Chuk Hang and Racecourse Stations) and Light Rail Customer Service Centres (Yuen Long, Tin Yat, Leung King and Tuen Mun Ferry Pier stops)
- Licensing Offices of the Transport Department
- Home Affairs Enquiry Centres of the Home Affairs Department
- District Elderly Community Centres, Neighbourhood Elderly Centres and Social Centres for Elderly subvented by the Government
You may download the consolidated list of designated locations here.
You may also download the application form (PDF format) here.
Step 2: Fill in the application form
After filling in the form, please adhere the following required documents onto the specified places of the application form:
A colour or black & white copy of your Hong Kong Smart Identity Card.
Please cut it according to the actual size and adhere it onto the application form.
Colour passport photo.
Please adhere a 1.5”x 2” colour passport photo taken within 6 months (with white or plain light colour background) onto the application form.
Note: Please fill in your name, Hong Kong identity card number, mobile phone number (for receiving SMS), preferred language and mailing address (only accept Hong Kong address). Please sign at the end of the form. The name and HKID No. of the applicant on the application form must be the same as that on your HKID.
Step 3: Send by mail
After completing the application form, please detach page 2 and put them into the attached postage paid return envelope. For the "Terms of Application" on page 3 - 4, please keep them for future reference.
If you have downloaded the application form from our website, please prepare your own envelope and adhere the stamp before mailing to the following address:
P.O. Box No. 945,
Tsuen Wan Post Office, NT
Octopus Cards Limited
JoyYou Card Application
After receiving your application, an SMS with the Application Reference Number will be sent to you. Please keep the Application Reference Number for any future communications and enquiries. Please note that Octopus Cards Limited will not request the applicant to pay any fee via SMS. All the SMS we sent to you will include your Application Reference Number. If your application information and/or required document is incomplete or incorrect, we will send SMS, email or letter to request you to submit supplementary information and/or required document by:
- Mail: P.O. Box No. 945, Tsuen Wan Post Office, Octopus Cards Limited,
JoyYou Card Application
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Octopus Customer Service Hotline: 2266 2222
When you submit the supplementary information and/or required supporting document, please quote the Application Reference Number.
Within 4 weeks after receipt of your completed application and required documents, we shall mail your JoyYou Card to the Hong Kong correspondence address you provided. We will notify you by sending an SMS to the mobile phone number you provided. If you do not receive your JoyYou Card within 10 days after receiving the SMS, please call the Octopus Customer Service Hotline at 2266 2222.
JoyYou Card Application Fee
The HKSAR Government will subsidise the application fee for the first time application.
However, administrative fees same as those apply to the On-Loan Personalised Octopus will be charged if you re-apply for the JoyYou Card after it is returned for refund, or if you apply for issuance of a replacement JoyYou Card after it is lost, etc.
Please refer to Schedule of Fees and Guidelines relating to the use of Octopus for other applicable fee(s) that may be charged.
Start Using Your JoyYou Card
- JoyYou Card can be used immediately after reloading and no activation of JoyYou Card is required.
- You can reload your JoyYou Card with cash at the existing designated locations for reloading the Octopus. You may also install the Octopus App in your mobile phone, and register for the Octopus Wallet and FPS to reload the JoyYou Card through electronic transfer of money.
- Upon receipt of the JoyYou Card, please reload it with an amount higher than $50. Please note that the initial reloading amount will include a refundable deposit of $50. For example, after you reload the JoyYou Card with $200, $50 will be held up as the deposit, and the remaining usable value will be $150. When you return your JoyYou Card in future, the deposit and any remaining value will be refunded.
- Hong Kong residents aged 60-64 can enjoy the $2 Scheme with a JoyYou Card starting from 27 February 2022. For those who have applied and received a JoyYou Card before this date, such card can be used as Adult Octopus.
Malfunctioning and Reporting Lost Card
Report Lost Card
- If you have lost your JoyYou Card, you should report to us immediately through Lost Octopus Reporting Service or call the Lost Octopus Reporting Hotline at 2266 2266. You will be liable for any loss arising from the use of such lost card within 3 hours after we receive the loss report and the related handling fee.
- We will arrange to issue a replacement JoyYou Card to you within 3 working days. If your JoyYou Card is linked with Automatic Add Value Service, it will be transferred to your new JoyYou Card automatically.
- If you report loss, you have to pay an administrative fee when you subsequently re-apply for a JoyYou Card.
- There will be a handling fee for reporting loss and issuance of a replacement JoyYou Card. Please refer to Schedule of Fees and Guidelines relating to the use of Octopus for details.
- If your JoyYou Card is malfunctioned, please bring it to the nearest MTR Customer Service Centre for assistance.
- If your JoyYou Card problem cannot be resolved, the malfunctioning Octopus will be returned to Octopus Cards Limited and a replacement JoyYou Card will be issued within 3 working days. If your JoyYou Card is linked with Octopus Automatic Add Value Service, it will be transferred to your new JoyYou Card automatically.
Click here to read the Frequently Asked Questions.
Octopus Customer Service Hotline
Manned Service Hours
Mondays to Fridays, 9 am to 9 pm
Saturdays, 9 am to 6 pm
except Sundays and public holidays
Scan the QR code to assess our online virtual assistant Ask Helen.
JoyYou Card is designated as an On-Loan Personalised Octopus issued subject to the Conditions of Issue of Octopus