Use of Octopus
Acceptance of Octopus
Transactions by Octopus are accepted anywhere you see this sign.
Top up the Octopus
For Physical Octopus Cards
- Tourist Octopus (Sold version) may not have initial stored value, and so must have value added before use.
- On-Loan Octopus include an initial stored value of HK$20-HK$100, depending on the card type.
- If the value on your Octopus is at or below HK$0, it cannot be used until you add value to it.
- You can reload your Octopus with cash anytime at thousands of locations, from transportation providers to retailers.
- You can also top up your Octopus anytime in Shenzhen at the Shenzhen Unionpay EPS Kiosk.
For Octopus on iPhone or Apple Watch
- You can top up Octopus on iPhone or Apple Watch using your non-Hong Kong issued Mastercard, UnionPay or Visa credit / debit card with Octopus App for Tourists.
- If the value on your Octopus on iPhone or Apple Watch is at or below HK$0, it cannot be used until you add value to it.
For Huawei Pay Octopus
- You can top up your Huawei Pay Octopus using a UnionPay card in your home currency with Octopus App for Tourists.
- If the value on your Huawei Pay Octopus is at or below HK$0, it cannot be used until you add value to it.
Tips for using Octopus
- You may add value to your physical Octopus card, Octopus on iPhone or Apple Watch or Huawei Pay Octopus at all Octopus Authorised Add Value Service Providers with cash, up to HK$3,000.
- Place your physical Octopus card, iPhone or Apple Watch, or Huawei mobile device steadily over an Octopus reader, hold and wait until you hear a "Dood" sound and see an indication that the transaction is completed (the remaining value shown on the screen) before removing your physical Octopus card, iPhone or Apple Watch, or Huawei mobile device.
- If the transaction is incomplete because you tapped your physical Octopus card, iPhone or Apple Watch, or Huawei mobile device too quickly over a reader, hold it over the same reader again until the transaction is completed.
- Do not hold more than one Octopus, or an Octopus with another contactless smartcard, over an Octopus reader at one time.
- Do not tamper with your physical Octopus Cards, such as bending it, writing on it, scratching it, cutting it, or pasting stickers, photos or accessories on it, or else transactions will not be honoured and the remaining stored value will not be refunded.
Tips for Tourists
- You can visit any MTR Customer Service Centre to rent or purchase an On-Loan Octopus upon arrival or refund before departure. If you request for refund of an On-Loan Octopus, there will be a Handling Fee of HK$11 or 1% of any remaining value, whichever is higher, if it meets any one or more of the following criteria:
- if its remaining value exceeds HK$1,000; and/or
- if it is returned within 90 days from the date of issue; and/or
- if such Octopus has only been used for five (5) payment transactions or less from the date of issue (excluding any bill payment transaction or donation transaction)
- For Octopus on iPhone or Apple Watch, or Huawei Pay Octopus, a handling Fee of HK$11 will be charged if it is refunded within 90 days from the date of issue.
- Children aged 3 – 11 are eligible to use a Child Octopus, and seniors 65 or older are eligible to use an Elder Octopus, for travelling on MTR, KMB, Citybus, New World First Bus and Sun Ferry.
- Please record your Octopus number for future reference. If the Octopus number cannot be identified, Octopus Cards Limited may not be able to refund the remaining stored value on the Octopus.
- Don't share your Octopus with other people, as an Octopus cannot be used twice within a designated time period.