About Card Replacement
The card replacement programme aims to keep in-circulation Octopus up-to-date with security and technological advances, so all customers can enjoy the latest Octopus services.
- Anonymous Octopus
- Personalised Octopus
From mid-June 2020 onwards, Octopus has been replacing On-Loan Octopus issued from 2002 onwards, in batches. On-Loan Octopus in each batch receive a special prompt – a “Dood~Dood Dood” sound when tapped on Octopus readers. This prompt remains in effect for at least three months, serving as a final call to remind customers that their On-Loan Octopus needs to be replaced. To continue using Octopus services, customers should replace their On-Loan Octopus at an Octopus Service Point before the card becomes invalid.
|Special Reader Prompt for Card Replacement|
On-Loan Octopus (including Anonymous and Personalised Octopus)
Octopus with Fare Concession Scheme
- Special / Limited Edition Octopus
- Octopus Watches
- Mini Octopus
- Octopus Ornaments
From 20 October 2021 onwards, we have arranged the replacement of Sold Octopus (including Special / Limited Edition, Octopus Watches, Mini Octopus and Octopus Ornaments, etc.) issued from 1999 onwards, on a continuous basis.
Sold Octopus needs to be replaced will receive a special prompt – a “Dood~Dood Dood” sound – when tapped on Octopus readers. This prompt remains in effect for at least three months, serving as a final call to remind customers that their Sold Octopus needs to be replaced. Before the card becomes invalid, customers should visit any Octopus Service Points to transfer the services or offers# on their Sold Octopus to one of the Octopus products stated below:
- Another Sold Octopus you have (except Personalised Octopus and Bank Co-Brand Octopus)
- Another On-Loan Octopus you have (except Personalised Octopus and Octopus Card on Mobile), or
- A new On-Loan Octopus issued by an Octopus Service Point
Please note if you transfer the services/ offers of your Sold Octopus to a new On-Loan Octopus, the deposit of $50 will be deducted from the remaining value. The Octopus function on your Sold Octopus will become invalid after the transfer.
#Transferrable Octopus services / offers (if applicable):
- Remaining value on the Octopus
- Last 9 spending records
- Automatic Add Value Service
- Public Transport Fare Subsidy Scheme#
- Residential Building / Commercial Building / Campus Access Control System
- Campus Management System
- Residential Building / Commercial Building / Campus Shuttle Services
- KMB Monthly Pass
- Sun Ferry Monthly Ticket / Holiday Return Ticket
- New World First Bus / Citybus Fare Concessions
- Concession Fares and Services of MTR:
- Student Fare Promotion (if applicable)
- Light Rail Personalised Octopus Frequent User Bonus Scheme (if applicable)
- Lo Wu / Lok Ma Chau Concessionary Travel Scheme (if applicable)
- MTR Monthly Pass Extra
- MTR "10% Same-Day Second Trip Discount" (if applicable)
- MTR Fare Savers Discount (if applicable)
- MTR Points and collected MTR Free Ride under MTR Mobile Account
#The record of public transport expenses and uncollected subsidy of the old Octopus will be transferred to the replacement Octopus. After successful transfer, you can collect the relevant subsidy with the replacement Octopus from the 16th of the following month.