Know More about Inactive Smart Octopus
What is Inactive Smart Octopus?
This refers to an Octopus on iPhone or Apple Watch, Huawei Pay Octopus or Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay, which has been inactive - with no add value or payment transactions for three years.
What is Inactive Smart Octopus Administrative Fee?
A HK$15 Inactive Smart Octopus Administrative Fee ("Administrative Fee") will be deducted from the remaining value and the Smart Octopus deposit after three years with no activity, and HK$15 annually thereafter if it remains inactive, until the remaining value and deposit are fully depleted. Once fully depleted, the Smart Octopus will be cancelled and cannot be reactivated.
What kind of Octopus will be affected by the Inactive Smart Octopus Administrative Fee?
The Administrative Fee is applicable to Octopus on iPhone or Apple Watch, Huawei Pay Octopus or Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay, which are in Adult type and Personalised Octopus for customers aged 18 – 59. It is not applicable to the following Octopus categories:
- Elder type
- Personalised Octopus for customers aged below 18 or aged 60 or above
- Bank Co-Brand Octopus Card on Mobile
How to avoid paying the Inactive Smart Octopus Administrative Fee?
You can avoid the Administrative Fee by doing the following:
- If you have a Smart Octopus which has not been used for a long time, please check the status through the Octopus Website, Octopus App or Octopus Service Points;
- If your Smart Octopus is not yet subject to the Administrative Fee, use it again not later than three years from your last add value or payment transaction;
- If your Smart Octopus has not been used for three years and become inactive, reactivate your Inactive Smart Octopus through the Octopus Service Points or MTR Customer Service Centres, and use it regularly. If you no longer need it, please delete it and apply for a refund of the deposit and remaining value (if any) after reactivation.
- If your inactive Smart Octopus is subject to the Administrative Fee, please reactivate your Smart Octopus through the Octopus Service Points# or MTR Customer Service Centres. The Administrative Fee will be deducted before reactivation.
# Reactivation through the Octopus Service Points is only applicable to Inactive Smart Octopus with Automatic Add Value Service or with enough remaining value to deduct the Administrative Fee.