Know More about Inactive Octopus
What is Inactive Octopus?
On-Loan Adult Octopus issued on or after 1 October 2017, and has not had any add value or payment transaction for three years will become an Inactive Octopus.
If you are the holder of Octopus on iPhone or Apple Watch, Huawei Pay Octopus or Smart Octopus in Samsung Pay, please click here to know more about Inactive Smart Octopus.
What is Inactive Octopus Administrative Fee?
A HK$15 Inactive Octopus Administrative Fee ("Administrative Fee") will be deducted from the remaining value and deposit of the On-Loan Adult Octopus after three years of inactivity, and HK$15 annually thereafter if it remains to be unused for any transaction until the remaining value and deposit are fully depleted. In such case, the Octopus will then be cancelled and cannot be reactivated again.
What kind of Octopus will be affected by the Inactive Octopus Administrative Fee?
The Administrative Fee will only apply to Anonymous On-Loan Adult Octopus and Personalised On-Loan Octopus for customers aged 18 – 59 without concession. It will not apply to the following Octopus categories:
- Anonymous On-Loan Child and Elder Octopus
- Personalised On-Loan Octopus with concession for Persons with Disabilities and students
- Personalised On-Loan Octopus for customers aged below 18 or aged 60 or above
- Sold Octopus (including Anonymous and Personalised Octopus)
- New Octopus issued for the replacement of On-Loan Octopus under the Card Replacement Programme
How to avoid paying the Inactive Octopus Administrative Fee?
You can avoid the Administrative Fee by doing the following after its effective date, i.e. 1 October 2017:
- Dig out your On-Loan Adult Octopus which has not been used for a long time;
- Check the status through the Octopus Website, Octopus App * or the Octopus Service Points;
- If your Octopus is not yet subject to the Administrative Fee, use it again not later than three years from your last add value or payment transaction;
- If your Octopus has not been used for three years and become inactive, reactivate your Inactive Octopus through the Octopus Service Points or MTR Customer Service Centres, and use it regularly. If you no longer need it, please delete it and apply for a refund of the deposit and remaining value (if any) after reactivation;
- From 1 October 2020 onwards, if your inactive Octopus is subject to the Administrative Fee, please reactivate your Octopus through the Octopus Service Points# or MTR Customer Service Centres. The Administrative Fee will be deducted before reactivation.
*Octopus enquiry and reactivation functions are currently available through the Octopus App via:
- Android – NFC enabled mobile devices
- iOS - iPhone 7 or newer with iOS 13 or above, or connected with Octopus Mobile Reader
# Reactivation through Octopus Service Points is only applicable to Inactive Octopus with Automatic Add Value Service or with enough remaining value to deduct the Administrative Fee.