Octopus Mobile Reader
If you've got any questions about how we can make your life easier, please check out our FAQ.OK
Octopus Mobile Reader
The Octopus Mobile Reader is designated for iOS mobile device users to read and write their Octopus. This Reader is for use on Bluetooth-enabled iOS mobile devices with the Octopus App installed. The following services are available:
- Fund transfers between Octopus Wallet and registered Octopus. Top-up of Octopus for children, domestic helpers or personal use is simple and convenient.
- Making Octopus Online Payments at designated online merchants and checking the Octopus' remaining value, latest transaction records and other information.
You can purchase an Octopus Mobile Reader at our designated sales channel. Please click here for details.
The Octopus Mobile Reader must operate with the Octopus App. Please click here for details of the system requirements for the Octopus App.
After pairing, the Reader will not turn off automatically. It will be in standby mode unless you turn it off using the power button. You can put the reader in standby mode for convenience.
- Each Reader is assigned with a unique PASSKEY that is used for identification between the Reader and iOS device. Please be aware that if the PASSKEY registered on the iOS device via pairing does not match the PASSKEY of the Reader being used, Bluetooth connection cannot be established.
- Please make a note of the PASSKEY so you will not forget it. Please be sure to store the PASSKEY safely away from unauthorized parties.
- If the Reader is placed near a metal object or an object that produces electromagnetic radiation, communication with the Octopus may fail due to electromagnetic interference. Please keep the Reader away from these objects during use to prevent interference.
- The Reader is neither waterproof nor splashproof:
- Exposure to or infiltration of water will corrode the interior and may result in malfunction.
- Avoid exposure to water and operation in excessively humid environments.
- Avoid touching the control and micro USB port areas with wet hands.
- Download the Octopus App onto the iOS mobile device.
- Enable Bluetooth on the iOS device: [Settings] > [Bluetooth]. Once completed, please [open Octopus App] to proceed with pairing.
- Select [Start Setup] > [Connect Now], then [Searching Octopus Mobile Reader…] will be shown on the screen.
- Please press the power button on the side of the Reader until the blue indicator blinks rapidly and the [password input] screen appears.
If there is no response after pressing the button, please charge the Reader battery using the USB cable.
- When the [Bluetooth Pairing Request] screen appears on the iOS device and the code entry request appears, please [enter the 6-digit code (PASSKEY) printed on the side of the Reader], and then tap [Pair].
If the blue indicator stops blinking rapidly while pairing is in progress, please perform step 4
When pairing is complete, please follow the instructions and place Octopus on the Reader to use the services provided by the Octopus App.
Pairing only needs to be completed once. For subsequent usage of the Octopus App, please follow the instructions and connect directly to the Reader.
Each Reader can only pair with a single iOS device at a time. If the Reader is then paired with another iOS device, please complete the following steps to pair the Reader with your iOS device again:
- Enable Bluetooth on the iOS device: [Settings] > [Bluetooth], then "PaSoRi" will be shown under "My Devices".
- Tap [(i)], then select [Forget This Device]
- [Open Octopus App], then select [Connect Now].
- Follow step 4 to 5 of "First time setup" to pair the Reader with your iOS device again
Please follow the above procedure if you wish to pair your iOS device with a new Reader.
The following are some of the possible reasons:
- The Reader has been turned off. Please turn on the Reader by pressing the power button for 2 seconds until the Communication status indicator (Blue) blinks 3 times.
- Bluetooth is turned off. Please go to [Settings] > [Bluetooth] to enable Bluetooth on the iOS device.
- The battery is discharged. Please charge the Reader battery using the USB cable.
- The Reader is not yet paired with the iOS device. Before using the Reader for the first time, the Reader must be paired with the iOS mobile device via Bluetooth. Please follow the instructions in the section "Reader Setup – First Time Setup".
- The Reader has been paired with another iOS device. Each Reader can only pair with a single iOS device at a time. If the Reader is paired with another iOS device after use, please follow the steps "Reader Setup - Special case (when pairing is required again)" to pair the Reader with your iOS device again.
- The Reader is too far from the iOS device. The Reader connects to your iOS device via Bluetooth wireless technology, limited to a distance of about 10m (33 ft.). Please ensure your Reader is placed close to the iOS device and avoid obstruction by people, metallic objects, walls, etc.
- The Reader is experiencing interference from a wireless LAN device. The Bluetooth function of the Reader and wireless LAN (IEE802.11b/g) devices use the same frequency ranges. When the Reader is used near a device equipped with wireless LAN, please keep the Reader as close to the iOS device as possible or turn off the wireless LAN in order to avoid wave interference.
The following are some of the possible reasons:
- Your Octopus is not placed correctly on the Reader. Please hold your Octopus card steady on the Reader and do not remove it until the read/write process is complete.
- The Octopus App only works with Octopus with a 9-digit Octopus number (eight digits plus one single digit inside the bracket, e.g. 12345678(9)). Please ensure your Octopus number fulfils this requirement.
- For security reasons, the applications only support Octopus already registered to your iOS mobile device. You need to register your Octopus in the Octopus App. If you are using your Octopus for online payments or fund transfers with an Octopus Wallet, please also make sure that you turn on the "fund transfer" option under your Octopus registration.
- The Reader will not function properly if two or more Octopus are placed on the Reader at the same time. Please remove any nearby smartcard.
- The Cross Border Octopus is not supported by the Octopus App. Please use the other enquiry channels listed on the Octopus website to review the latest transaction information of your Cross Border Octopus.
Insert a pointed object, such as a straightened paper clip, into the reset button hole, and then press the button. The Reader will restart. Please follow the steps on "Reader Setup - Special case (when pairing is required again)" to cancel the pairing of the Reader and the iOS device, and then perform pairing again.