- Please add value to your Octopus as appropriate, or apply for Automatic Add Value Service.
- You may add value to your Octopus at all Octopus authorised add value service providers, up to a maximum of HK$1,000.
- Use an appropriate type of Octopus according to the fare collection schemes of transport operators.
- Don’t purchase unauthorised Octopus products (i.e. Octopus products that have been altered through attachment of ornaments, crystals, stickers, etc.).
- Present your Octopus for inspection by the relevant staff upon request.
Protect Your Octopus
- Keep your Octopus in a protective pouch. Avoid carrying your Octopus near coins, studs or zippers.
- Don’t put your Octopus in back pockets, as the microchip on the card might be damaged when you sit down.
- Don’t bend, write on, scratch, cut or paste stickers, photos or accessories on the Octopus, which may affect transaction processing.
- Don’t lend a Personalised Octopus or Octopus linked with Automatic Add Value Service to another person.
- If you lose a Personalised Octopus or an Octopus linked with Automatic Add Value Service, call the Octopus Lost Card Hotline 2266 2266 to report the loss immediately.
- Hold your Octopus steadily over a reader, and wait until you hear a “dood” sound indicating the transaction is completed and the remaining value is shown on the screen before removing your Octopus. If your Octopus is rejected by an Octopus reader, wait until the indicator light stops flashing, then try again.
- Don’t move your Octopus too quickly over a reader, which can lead to an incomplete transaction. If this happens, present the same Octopus again at the same reader until the transaction is completed.
- Don’t put more than one Octopus (including credit cards with Octopus function) over a reader at the same time.
- Don’t put an Octopus together with another contactless smart card, such as a pass for residential or office premises, over a reader at the same time.
- Don’t put any electronic equipment, such as digital diaries, together with an Octopus over a reader at the same time.
- When taking Light Rail, tap your Octopus over the entry/exit Octopus reader on the platform as required.
- When using an on-street parking meter, hold your Octopus steadily over the Octopus reader of the parking meter and wait until the words "Transaction Completed" and the remaining value in your Octopus are displayed on the screen before removing your Octopus. Call the parking meter facility management customer services hotline at 2318 0616 for any enquiries.