Welcome to the Octopus (Hong Kong) Site.
Additional text has been added to aid users who may be using screen readers to view this site. If you are reading this text on your screen then either, the style sheet (CSS) file has failed to load, in which case you should refresh your screen or, your browser may not support style sheets. Find out more about which browsers support style sheets on the World Wide Web Consortium website.
What follows is a few links to some of the important pages and the search tool. If you wish to skip this you can
What follows is a list of links to sections of the site. If you wish to skip this you can go to main content.
Top level navigation menu:
Second level navigation menu:
- Keep your Octopus in a protective pouch.
- Reload your Octopus before the value runs out or apply for Automatic Add Value Service.
- Hold your Octopus steadily over a reader, and wait until there is an indication that the transaction is completed and the remaining value is shown on the screen before removing your Octopus. If your Octopus is rejected at an Octopus reader, wait until the indicator light stops flashing, then try again.
- Use an Octopus of the appropriate type according to the fare collection schemes of transport operators.
- Present your Octopus for inspection upon request.
- When taking Light Rail, touch your Octopus over the entry/exit Octopus reader on the platform as required.
- When using on-street parking meter, hold your Octopus steadily over the Octopus reader of the parking meter and wait until the wordings "Transaction Completed" and the remaining value in your Octopus are displayed on the screen before removing your Octopus. Call the parking meter facility management customer services hotline at 2318 0616 for any enquiries.
- If you lose your Personalised Octopus or an Octopus linked with Automatic Add Value Service, call the Octopus Lost Card Hotline 2266 2266 to report the loss immediately.
- Hold more than one Octopus (including credit card with Octopus function) over a reader at one time.
- Hold an Octopus together with another contactless smart card, such as a pass for residential or office premises, over a reader at one time.
- Hold any electronic equipment, such as digital diaries, together with an Octopus over a reader at one time.
- Hold your Octopus too quickly over a reader, which can lead to an incomplete transaction; in such cases, present the same Octopus again at the same reader until the transaction is completed.
- Bend, write on, scratch, tap, cut or paste stickers or photos on your Octopus, which may affect transaction processing.
- Place your Octopus near coins, studs or zippers.
- Put your Octopus in your back pocket, as the microchip on the card can be damaged when you sit down.
- Purchase unauthorised Octopus products (i.e. Octopus products that have been altered through attachment of ornaments, crystals, stickers, etc).
- Pass your Personalised Octopus or your Octopus linked with Automatic Add Value Service to another person.