Use of Huawei Pay Octopus
If you've got any questions about how we can make your life easier, please check out our FAQ.OK
Use of Huawei Pay Octopus
Huawei Pay Octopus is just like your physical Octopus card when you make a payment or top up by cash at authorised service providers. Please follow cashier instructions to tap your Huawei Pay Octopus onto the Octopus reader for making payment and/or cash top up.
You can purchase a public transport monthly pass with Huawei Pay Octopus by opening the Octopus App, tapping "Transport Passes" -> "Buy Pass" -> Select service provider, ticket type and confirm payment amount -> Select payment method -> Proceed Huawei authentication for completion.
Once the Huawei Pay Octopus is provisioned, you need to set this Huawei Pay Octopus as a default card in Huawei Wallet to avoid triggering other payment card from the device when tapping the Octopus on the Octopus reader.
No. As with all physical Octopus cards, Huawei Pay Octopus can only be used with Octopus readers.
This transaction is incomplete. Please follow the merchant's instructions, tap the Octopus on the same reader again until you hear a "dood" signal for a complete transaction and see the remaining value. This will NOT cause a double deduction.
No. Just hold your Huawei device above any Octopus reader to make payments for transportation, retail outlets and access control without using Touch ID or passcode. There is no need to wake or unlock the device or open any apps.
Huawei Pay Octopus does not require Internet connection when paying for transport and retail purchases as Huawei Pay utilises NFC technology for transactions.
The exceptions are functions that require Internet connection, e.g. adding a new Octopus to HUAWEI Wallet, or initiating money transfers from Octopus Wallet.
If the mobile device's battery runs out, you can use power reserve that enables you to quickly pay for rides and depending on your device, it is available for up to few hours before your Huawei device needs to be charged.
Huawei Pay Octopus works just like a physical Octopus card. If the remaining value of your Huawei Pay Octopus is positive (HK$0.1 or more) but insufficient to cover the payment of a particular transaction, the Octopus can still be used provided the resulting negative value does not exceed HK$50. The Octopus cannot be used for payment if the remaining value is zero or negative prior to the transaction.
There are a number of possible causes for this problem:
- The mobile device may need a firmware upgrade.
- The NFC function on the mobile device may not be enabled, or "HUAWEI Wallet" may not be selected (under “Settings” > "More Connections" > “NFC” > “Default app” > “HUAWEI Wallet”). Please refer to the operating manual of your mobile device for instructions on how to enable NFC/select the appropriate option.
- There may be a file transfer via NFC in progress. (Please refer to the operating manual of your mobile device for more information on this.)
- Your mobile device may be too close to metallic materials, such as a metal mobile phone case, or to another Octopus or contactless smart card.
Once you have determined and addressed the cause, please follow the relevant steps below:
- If you could not begin a transaction before, do so now as you normally would: place your mobile device over the Octopus reader, hold and wait until you hear the "dood" sound and see the remaining value shown on screen.
- If the earlier transaction is incomplete, place your mobile device over the same Octopus reader again and wait for the "dood" sound and remaining value display that indicate a complete transaction.
- If the Octopus reader has trouble detecting your mobile device, try placing it over the same reader again at another angle or a slight distance.
- If a file transfer via NFC was delaying the transaction, wait for the transfer to finish and then place your mobile device over the Octopus reader again.
If all these fail, restart your mobile device and place it over the Octopus reader again.
Yes, unless otherwise specified, all Octopus payment offers apply to Huawei Pay Octopus.
Yes; unless otherwise specified, the procedure to apply for these services is the same as any other Octopus.
You may need to configure your mobile device to choose your default payment method. Please select "Settings" > "More Connections" > "NFC" > "Default app", select "HUAWEI Wallet" (for Huawei Pay Octopus) or "SIM cards" (for Octopus mobile SIM). Please refer to the operating manual of your mobile device for more information on the relevant setting.
No. Your Huawei Pay Octopus will not be affected if you change SIM cards or mobile network operators.
Your Huawei Pay Octopus will be deactivated if you have not added value to it for a continuous period of 1,000 days. You can reactivate it at any Octopus Service Point or any MTR Customer Service Centre. Please note that inactive Octopus administrative fee will be charged if your Huawei Pay Octopus remain inactive for 3 years. For details, please refer our Schedule of Fees and Guidelines.