Reactivate an inactive Octopus
If your Octopus has not been used for some time, it will become inactive. Now you can get a Mobile Octopus by transferring your existing physical Octopus card* (including the inactive Octopus) to your iPhone or Huawei mobile phone with Octopus App for Tourists. Check your balance and skip queues by topping up using your credit / debit card. Once you no longer need this Mobile Octopus, you can easily apply for a refund of the deposit and remaining value through the Octopus App for Tourists.
Download Octopus App for Tourists
Or you can follow these simple steps to reactivate an inactive Octopus via Octopus App, which can be downloaded from Google Play, App Store or AppGalley:
- Open Octopus App
- Tap “Card Enquiry”
- Select “Tap card to view Recent Records and Balance”
- Place your Octopus at the back of your mobile phone
- Tap “Details” to check the status and/or choose to reactivate your Octopus
- After checking the status of your inactive Octopus, please tap "Activate" to reactivate it
- Please hold your Octopus at the back of your mobile phone until the reactivation is completed
Please note that an “On-Loan Adult Octopus” that was issued on or after 1 October 2017, and did not have any added value or payment transactions for three years, will become an Inactive Octopus, and you will have to pay the Inactive Octopus Administrative Fee. This Inactive Octopus Administrative Fee is not applicable to "Tourist Octopus".